OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• Dec. 11: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
• Dec. 15: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674.
• Dec. 15: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela's; two for one pricing. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631.
• Jan. 8: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
• Jan. 11: "Battle of the Bulge Vintage Sniper Rifle Match," Forks Rifle Club, 8 miles west of Merrifield, N.D., on Grand Forks County Road 6. Relay times are 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. A 3 p.m. relay will be added if other relays are full. Limited to CMP Rule 6.4.3 vintage sniper rifle or Section 6.3 as-issued military rifle. Entry fee $20 per two-man team, limited to 16 teams. Info: Tom Reiten, (701) 775-0008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
N.d. game and fish advisory board
• Tuesday: District 4 (Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina and Walsh counties), 7 p.m., Minto (N.D.) Community Center. Info: Chris Misialek, Minto Area Sportsmen's Club, (701) 243-3978.
• Jan. 7: Open house and swap night, 7 p.m., Red River Archers Indoor Range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: redriverarchers.org.
• Jan. 9: 300-target archery league begins, Red River Archers Indoor Range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: redriverarchers.org.
• Jan. 14: 3-D archery league begins, Red River Archers Indoor Range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: redriverarchers.org.
• Tuesday: Headwaters Chapter of Trout Unlimited fall membership meeting, Keg n' Cork Pub, downtown Bemidji. Social hour 5:30 p.m., soup and sandwich bar 6 p.m., with business meeting and program beginning at 7. Rod Pierce, retired DNR biologist who specialized in pike research and management will talk on "Northern Pike: They're Not Trout But Still Fun." Info: Bob, (218) 586-2798 or Steve, (218) 243-2574.
• Friday-Saturday: 35th annual Snowmobile North Dakota convention, Howard Johnson Inn, Grand Forks. Events on tap include a free tour of the Polaris factory in Roseau, Minn., with a bus leaving at 10 a.m. Dec. 6 from the Howard Johnson. A youth snowmobile safety course is scheduled from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Dec. 7. Course cost: $20, paid to the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department at the time of the class; pre-register by calling Tari Norby at (701) 328-5348.Convention registration is $65 per person. For a full schedule of convention events, check out the Snowmobile North Dakota website at snowmobilend.org.
• Saturday-Dec. 8: Cut your own Christmas tree, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Rydell National Wildlife Refuge, Minn. Volunteers will be on hand in the Visitor Center to help with registration and at the cutting sites to assist with tree removal and tie-down. A few pre-cut trees also will be available for sale. Donations for trees will go to the Friends of Rydell and Glacial Ridge Refuge Association. Info: (800) 841-0172.
• Dec. 14: Fourth "Future of Hunting" conference, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Ramada Inn., Bismarck. Registration $10, includes coffee, snacks and noon lunch. Bring a friend or hunting partner. Info: Mike McEnroe, North Dakota Wildlife Federation, email@example.com or (701) 224-8335.
• Dec. 14: Annual winter bird survey, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: John Fylpaa, (218) 308-2300.
• Dec. 15: 19th annual Itasca winter bird count, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Itasca State Park, Minn. Meet at the Jacob V. Brower Visitor Center between 7:30 and 8 a.m. for count area assignments. Info: (218) 699-7251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dec. 28: Snowshoe lacing refresher, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: Info: John Fylpaa, (218) 308-2300 or John.Fylpaa@state.mn.us.
• Jan. 16: Moonlight snowshoeing for fun, 7 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Snowshoes available at park office. Info: John Fylpaa, (218) 308-2300.
• Jan. 18: Candlelight ski, Zippel Bay State Park, Minn. Local ski group sponsoring a meal about 5 p.m. Everyone welcome. Info: (218) 783-6252 or email@example.com.
• Jan. 18: Advanced digital photography workshop: Winter Wonderland, noon to 4 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Limited to 10 participants, who should dress for being outside. No fee for class, but vehicle permit required to enter the park; meet in the Visitor Center. Info: (218) 308-2300.
• Jan. 30: Snowshoeing for fun, 1:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: John Fylpaa, (218) 308-2300.
• Jan. 11: "I Can Ice Fish!" program, 1 to 4 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Learn ice fishing basics; equipment,shelters and bait provided; Minnesota residents don't need a fishing license. Open to all ages. Register by Jan. 6 at (218) 308-2300.
N.d. fall seasons/important dates
• Dec. 1: Darkhouse spearfishing opens.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to www.GrandForksHerald.com and click the Outdoors link.