OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Hunting, fishing, events for the week of June 8
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- Sundays through July 13: Bog-watcher Sundays, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Naturalist will be roving the boardwalk to help visitors locate flowers of the bog. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June through August: Kids Fishing Fridays, 8 to 11:30 a.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Weekly guided fishing trip offered every other Friday; limited to 9 anglers. Info/signup: (218) 308-2300.
- Wednesday through June 15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.
- Saturday: Visitor Appreciation Day, Turtle River State Park, N.D. Besides a Kids Fishing Derby from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., other events on tap include geocaching instruction with a limited number of GPS units available to borrow, and a guided interpretive hike at 11 a.m. (meet in the CCC Memorial Shelter parking lot). Grab a scavenger hunt clue sheet to explore the park, and completed sheets can be entered into a 2 p.m. drawing for National Trails Day prizes. Skips Gourmet Grub will be selling various snacks in the CCC Memorial Shelter from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the North Dakota State University chapter of The Wildlife Society will give a presentation at 1 p.m. at the amphitheater. Info: (701) 594-4445.
- Saturday: National Marina Day, 1 p.m., Fort Stevenson State Park, N.D. Come to the Garrison Bay Marina for an open house. Kiddie boats will be available, and children can participate in the rain gutter regatta. Info: (701) 337-5576.
- June 21: Antique and vintage snowmobile tour, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Visit to the home of a nearby snowmobile enthusiast who will display his collection of nearly 40 antique and vintage snowmobiles. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 21: Becoming an Outdoors Woman Fly-Fishing Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. No fee but state park vehicle permit required. Register at dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/bow/beyondbowregistration. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 28: “Bog Flowers on the Boardwalk,” 10 a.m. to noon, Big Bog State Park North Unit near Waskish, Minn. Two-mile guided tour of boardwalk to view rare bog plants and flowers. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 28: Archery in the Park, 1 to 4 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 754-2200.
- June 28-29: Fort Stevenson Frontier Military Days, 1 to 4 p.m., Fort Stevenson State Park, N.D. Living history demonstrations with military encampment and maneuvers. Skills and crafts of the Indian Wars period on display. Visit the Fort Stevenson Guardhouse Interpretive Center; (701) 337-5576.
- June 29: Visitor Appreciation Day, free admission to Fort Stevenson State Park; (701) 337-5576.
- June 29: Archery in the Park, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hayes Lake State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 425-7504.
- July 19-20: 50th Anniversary Visitor Appreciation, Icelandic State Park, N.D. Info: (701) 265-4561 or email@example.com.
- Wednesday: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- June 15: 50/50/50 sporting clays shoot, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Dakota Hunting Club Sporting Clays Range southwest of Grand Forks. Info: Mike Elgin, (701) 772-8789.
- June 28: Minnesota Circuit Shoot 200 Target Sporting Clays Shoot, 9 a.m., Northwest Sporting Clays range, Thief River Falls. Info: Joe, (218) 689-9757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 29: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- June 29: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- July 20: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- July 20: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- Saturday: Kids Fishing Derby, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Turtle River State Park, N.D. Meet at CCC Memorial Shelter; all equipment will be provided, and door prizes will be awarded throughout the derby. Info: (701) 594-4445.
- June 21: North Star Summer Walleye Classic, Minnesota side of Lake of the Woods and Rainy River upstream to Franz Jevne State Park. Entry fee $200 per two-person team, which must be paid by June 14. Mandatory rules meeting at 7 p.m. June 20, and at least one team member must attend. Info: Kevin Olmstead, (218) 634-9457 or Wigwam Resort, (218) 634-2168 or wigwamresortlow.com.
- June 27-28: 38th annual Devils Lake Chamber Fishing Tournament, Devils Lake. Top team will win $5,000, and daily prizes also are awarded for largest walleye ($500), pike ($250), perch ($100) and white bass ($100). Info: devilslakend.com or (701) 662-4903.
- July 18-19: North Dakota Governor’s Cup Fishing Derby, Fort Stevenson State Park, N.D.; 252 teams competing for the Governor’s Cup 38th annual championship. Flights go out between 7 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., with weigh-ins at 3 p.m. Info: (701) 337-5576.
- July 19: North Dakota Junior Governor’s Cup Fishing Derby, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Fort Stevenson State Park, N.D. Open to anglers up to 17, and only charge is the park entrance fee; (701) 337-5576.
Dates to remember
- Today: Second North Dakota free fishing day; gf.nd.gov.
- Saturday: Free admission to all Minnesota state parks.