OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Hunting, fishing, events for the week of August 3
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- Aug. 23: Summer camp event for women, 10 a.m., Camp Wilderness near Park Rapids, Minn. Sponsored by Women Hunting and Fishing, a new organization that aims to increase hunting and fishing participation by Minnesota women. Fee: $35, includes Saturday lunch and dinner, use of camp facilities and day’s sessions; $60 for overnight stay and Aug. 24 breakfast. Info: Jean Bergerson, (218) 326-9775 or Betty Wilkens, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 23: Second annual Fort Stevenson Regatta, noon, Fort Stevenson State Park headquartered out of the de Trobriand Marina. Info: (701) 337-5576.
- Aug. 30: Lake Region Sportsmen’s Club Canada goose hunt. Registration from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 29, Flyway Bar, Webster, N.D.; $20 per hunter includes raffle. No ticket required for youth hunters. Teams with a youth hunter will receive bonus points. Harvested geese will be donated to local food pantry. Info: Larry Weigel, (701) 351-4090.
- Sept. 6: Hooked on Hunting youth day, 1 to 4 p.m., Grand Forks Gun Club, west of Grand Forks on the north side of U.S. Highway 2. Free event includes gun safety, dog training, bird identification, duck calling and decoy management. Also on tap are games, dinner and a free duck call to the first 200 kids registered. Parents are welcome, and each participating child needs a parent-signed permission waiver to shoot clay pigeons. Sponsored by Cabelas, Delta Waterfowl, the Greater Grand Forks Gun Club and the Grand Forks County Wildlife Federation. Registration from 12:30 to 1 p.m. Info: Jill Nelson, (701) 746-2790 or ggfgc.com.
- Aug. 13, 20 and 27: Bow hunter warm-up, 7 p.m., Red River Archers indoor range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks; 30 3-D Rhinehart targets, $10 per session. Info: John Brewinski, (701) 746-8602.
- Today8/3: Women’s only two-for-one Minnesota, Utah, Florida or Arizona Permit to Carry training, noon, Grand Forks Home of Economy. Info/registration: Laura Ramirez, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Today: Women’s only North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 4 p.m., Grand Forks Home of Economy. Info/registration: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 16: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing 9 a.m., Grand Forks Scheels. Info/registration: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 16: Two for one Utah Permit to Carry Training, 10:30 am, Grand Forks Scheels. Info/registration: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 17: Two for one Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info/registration: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 23: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry instruction and testing, 9:30 a.m., Grand Forks Masonic Center; Utah instruction and certification, 10:30 a.m., same location. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- Sept. 14: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Sept. 14: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- Sept. 20: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry instruction and testing, 9:30 a.m., Grand Forks Masonic Center; Utah instruction and certification, 10:30 a.m., same location. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- Today: Final day of Cats Incredible catfish tournament, Red River, East Grand Forks, with tournament headquarters at LaFave Park. Awards ceremony will be about 6 p.m. Info: email@example.com or (218) 399-3474.
- Saturday: Third annual Johnnie Candle fishing seminar, 7 p.m., Grahams Island State Park on Devils Lake. Event will be held in the Sivert Thompson Center, and the only cost is the $5 park vehicle entrance fee. Info: johnniecandle.com or (701) 371-9431; Grahams Island State Park, (701) 766-4015.
- Saturday: Rod and Reel Rally catfish tournament, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Red River in Drayton, N.D. Entry fee $50, with a minimum of two paid entries per boat. Prize for biggest catfish is $1,600 with whopper payouts down to sixth place. Info: Rob Boll, (701) 454-3317 or online at draytonND.com.
- Aug. 30: Fifth annual South Shore Classic fishing tournament, Arnesens Rocky Point Resort on Lake of the Woods. Info: arnesens.com.
- Sept. 27: Inaugural Selkirk Wildlife Walleye Derby, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Red River near Selkirk, Man. Entry fee $40 adults, $20 youths 16 and younger and $20 for seniors 65 and older. Prizes will be based on a percentage of total participants, and proceeds will benefit the Alzheimer Society of Manitoba. Info: Dan Sernyk, (204) 612-9379 (cell), (204) 668-5831 (home) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to gfherald.com and click the Outdoors link.