OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Hunter education, events, shooting, banquets
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- May 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 21 and 22: North Dakota Hunter Education class, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Forks Rifle Club W.G. Coulter Range, 8½ miles west of Merrifield, N.D., on Grand Forks County Road 6. Pre-registration is required by going to gf.nd.gov and clicking the Education link at the top of the home page.
- Saturday (5/3): Prescribed burning workshop, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., University of Minnesota-Crookston. Classroom and in-the-field sessions planned for private landowners and others interested in using fire for grassland management. Workshop is free, and class size is limited to 20 people at least 18 years old. Pre-registration required by Monday; sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and The Nature Conservancy. Info: Emily Hutchins, (218) 637-2156.
- May 15-18: 17th annual Festival of Birds, Detroit Lakes, Minn. Numerous workshops, field trips and other events on tap at various locations throughout the region, including a May 18 field trip to the Agassiz Valley flood control impoundment near Warren, Minn. Registration deadline is noon May 9. Info: VisitDetroitLakes.com, dlchamber@VisitDetroitLakes.com or (800) 542-3992.
- May 17: Interpretive program, “Tracks, Tracks, Tracks,” 10 a.m. to noon, Red River State Recreation Area, East Grand Forks. Join park staff to learn about mammals and their tracks. Info: Catherine Johnson, (218) 773-4950 or Catherine.email@example.com.
- May 25-July 13: Bog-watcher Sundays, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Naturalist will be roving the boardwalk to help visitors locate flowers of the bog. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 1-Aug. 30: Kids Fishing Fridays, 8 to 11:30 a.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Weekly guided fishing trip offered every other Friday; limited to 9 anglers. Info/signup: (218) 308-2300.
- June 5: “Wolves of Red Lake,” 7 to 8:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Jay Huseby, wildlife director of the Red Lake tribal DNR, will discuss the status of wolves on tribal lands, including recent research projects. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 7: Farm tour, 3 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Tour of a beef and wild rice farm and a discussion f the various conservation practices the landowner has implemented. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 11-15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.
- June 21: Antique and vintage snowmobile tour, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Big Bog State Park, Waskish, Minn. Visit to the home of a nearby snowmobile enthusiast who will display his collection of nearly 40 antique and vintage snowmobiles. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 21: Becoming an Outdoors Woman Fly-Fishing Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. No fee but state park vehicle permit required. Register at dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/bow/beyondbowregistration. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- June 28: “Bog Flowers on the Boardwalk,” 10 a.m. to noon, Big Bog State Park North Unit near Waskish, Minn. Two-miled guided tour of boardwalk to view rare bog plants and flowers. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- June 28: Archery in the Park, 1 to 4 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 754-2200.
- June 29: Archery in the Park, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hayes Lake State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 425-7504.
- Today (4/27): 50/50/50 Sporting Clays Fun Shoot, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Dakota Hunting Club and Kennel southwest of Grand Forks. Registered and Hunter classes. Info: Mike, (701) 772-8789.
- Wednesday: Open sporting clays shooting begins, 4 p.m., Northwest Sporting Clays range, Thief River Falls and will continue Wednesdays through mid-September. Info: Joe, (218) 689-9757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 11: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- May 11: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- May 14: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- June 11: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- June 28: Minnesota Circuit Shoot 200 Target Sporting Clays Shoot, 9 a.m., Northwest Sporting Clays range, Thief River Falls. Info: Joe, (218) 689-9757 or email@example.com.
- June 29: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- June 29: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- Monday4/28: East Grand Forks Ducks Unlimited banquet, American Legion Club, East Grand Forks. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 7; raffles and silent auctions, open to the public, and children are welcome. Ticket: $35 single, $60 couple, $25 youth 18 and younger. Info: (701) 215-2373.
Dates to remember
- Through May 5: Sharp-tailed grouse viewing blind available, Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info/reservations: (218) 754-2200.
- Thursday: North Dakota paddlefish snagging season opens; gf.nd.gov.
- May 10: Minnesota walleye opener.
- June 4: Deadline to apply for North Dakota deer gun and muzzleloader licenses; gf.nd.gov.
- June 7: Minnesota muskie opener.
- June 7-8: North Dakota free fishing days; gf.nd.gov.
- June 14: Free admission to all Minnesota state parks.