OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Fishing, hunting, events for the week of March 16
- Today: Two-for-one Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 8:30 a.m., Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- April 19: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- April 19: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- May 14: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- May 18: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- May 18: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- Saturday: Friends of the NRA banquet, Ramada Inn, Grand Forks. Social hour 5:30 p.m., with banquet at 7. Tickets, $40 (“grand slam” sold out). Info: Morgan Stroh, (701) 330-2099.
- March 17: Lake Region Pheasants Forever banquet, Memorial Building, Devils Lake. Social hour at 6 p.m., with dinner at 7. Info: Tom Rost, (701) 662-8629 or George Zenk, (701) 739-6042.
- March 29: Red River Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 24th annual big game banquet, Alerus Center ballroom, Grand Forks. Doors open at 5 p.m., with dinner at 7. Info: Tony Kelley, (701) 775-3770.
- Today: Final day of 49th annual Red River Valley Boat, Camping and Vacation Show, Fargodome. Info: fargosportshow.com.
- Today: Final day of Minnesota Deer Classic, Schwan Center, Blaine, Minn. Certified measurers, demonstrations, seminars, kids’ activities and more. Admission: $10, adults; $7, ages 12 to 17; free, 11 and younger.
- Today: Family Fun Day, noon to 3 p.m., Larimore Dam (N.D.) Recreation Area. Events on tap include a snow obstacle course, shot on goal competition, ice golf putting contest and an ice fishing derby for youths 15 and younger, with prizes for first, second and third based on total weight caught. Chili and hot dogs will be available along with hot beverages. Will be postponed one week in case of inclement weather. Info: Dave, (701) 741-8315; Ray, (218) 791-4792; or John, (218) 791-9564.
- March 22: Ski/snowshoe hike, “The Bog in Winter,” 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. Round-trip distance about two miles, and snowshoes will be available to check out. Minnesota Ski Pass required for skiers 16 and older but not for snowshoers or hikers. Meet at the park office. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- April 12: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever 140-gun raffle, East Grand Forks American Legion. Walk-around raffles, guns, prints and hunting trips. Info: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
- June 11-15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.