OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Fishing, hunting, events for the week of August 10
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- Saturday-Aug. 17: Presentation, North Dakota Game Warden Museum near Dunseith, N.D., 1 to 3 p.m. Tom Zick, federal wildlife officer for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at J. Clark Salyer National Wildlife Refuge. Info: gamewardenmuseum.org.
- Aug. 23: Summer camp event for women, 10 a.m., Camp Wilderness near Park Rapids, Minn. Sponsored by Women Hunting and Fishing, a new organization that aims to increase hunting and fishing participation by Minnesota women. Fee: $35, includes Saturday lunch and dinner, use of camp facilities and day’s sessions; $60 for overnight stay and Aug. 24 breakfast. Info: Jean Bergerson, (218) 326-9775 or Betty Wilkens, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aug. 23: Second annual Fort Stevenson Regatta, noon, Fort Stevenson State Park, N.D., headquartered out of the de Trobriand Marina. Info: (701) 337-5576.
- Aug. 23-24: Presentation, North Dakota Game Warden Museum near Dunseith, N.D., 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Capt. Thomas Caifa, New York State Environmental Conservation Police. Info: gamewardenmuseum.org.
- Aug. 30: Lake Region Sportsmen’s Club Canada goose hunt. Registration from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 29, Flyway Bar, Webster, N.D.; $20 per hunter includes raffle. No ticket required for youth hunters. Teams with a youth hunter will receive bonus points. Harvested geese will be donated to local food pantry. Info: Larry Weigel, (701) 351-4090.
- Aug. 30-31: Presentation, North Dakota Game Warden Museum near Dunseith, N.D., 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., featuring staff from the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. Info: gamewardenmuseum.org.
- Sept. 6: Hooked on Hunting youth day, 1 to 4 p.m., Grand Forks Gun Club, west of Grand Forks on the north side of U.S. Highway 2. Free event includes gun safety, dog training, bird identification, duck calling and decoy management. Also on tap are games, dinner and a free duck call to the first 200 kids registered. Parents are welcome, and each participating child needs a parent-signed permission waiver to shoot clay pigeons. Sponsored by Cabelas, Delta Waterfowl, the Greater Grand Forks Gun Club and the Grand Forks County Wildlife Federation. Registration from 12:30 to 1 p.m. Info: Jill Nelson, (701) 746-2790 or ggfgc.com.
- Wednesday, Aug. 20 and 27: Bow hunter warm-up, 7 p.m., Red River Archers indoor range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks; 30 3-D Rhinehart targets, $10 per session. Info: John Brewinski, (701) 746-8602.
- Aug. 16: Red River Valley Catfish League year-end tournament, Whopper John (North) Boat Landing, Grand Forks. Tournament begins at 7 a.m., and registration is $125 per boat. Info: catfishleague.com.
- Aug. 30: Fifth annual South Shore Classic fishing tournament, Arnesens Rocky Point Resort on Lake of the Woods. Info: arnesens.com.
- Sept. 27: Inaugural Selkirk Wildlife Walleye Derby, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Red River near Selkirk, Man. Entry fee $40 adults, $20 youths 16 and younger and $20 for seniors 65 and older. Prizes will be based on a percentage of total participants, and proceeds will benefit the Alzheimer Society of Manitoba. Info: Dan Sernyk, (204) 612-9379 (cell), (204) 668-5831 (home) or email@example.com.
- Saturday: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing 9 a.m., Grand Forks Scheels. Info/registration: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Saturday: Two for one Utah Permit to Carry Training, 10:30 am, Grand Forks Scheels. Info/registration: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 17: Two for one Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info/registration: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 23: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry instruction and testing, 9:30 a.m., Grand Forks Masonic Center; Utah instruction and certification, 10:30 a.m., same location. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- Sept. 14: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Sept. 14: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.
- Sept. 20: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry instruction and testing, 9:30 a.m., Grand Forks Masonic Center; Utah instruction and certification, 10:30 a.m., same location. Info: dakotacwp.com.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to gfherald.com and click the Outdoors link.