OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Fishing, hunting events for the week of Aug. 24 and beyond
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
- Aug. 30: Lake Region Sportsmen’s Club Canada goose hunt. Registration from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 29, Flyway Bar, Webster, N.D.; $20 per hunter includes raffle. No ticket required for youth hunters. Teams with a youth hunter will receive bonus points. Harvested geese will be donated to local food pantry. Info: Larry Weigel, (701) 351-4090.
- Aug. 30-31: Presentation, North Dakota Game Warden Museum near Dunseith, N.D., 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., featuring staff from the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. Info: gamewardenmuseum.org.
- Aug. 31: Celebration of bees and butterflies, Buffalo River State Park, Minn. Events on tap include “Bees at Bluestem,” 10 a.m. to noon; “Butterflies: On the Hunt,” 1 to 2:30 p.m.; “Prairie Preschool: Plant a Pocket of Prairie,” 3 to 4 p.m.; and “Junior Park Naturalist: Backyard Bee House,” 4 to 5 p.m. Daily $5 state park pas required. Info: (218) 498-2124.
- Sept. 6: Hooked on Hunting youth day, 1 to 4 p.m., Grand Forks Gun Club, west of Grand Forks on the north side of U.S. Highway 2. Free event includes gun safety, dog training, bird identification, duck calling and decoy management. Also on tap are games, dinner and a free duck call to the first 200 kids registered. Parents are welcome, and each participating child needs a parent-signed permission waiver to shoot clay pigeons. Sponsored by Cabelas, Delta Waterfowl, the Greater Grand Forks Gun Club and the Grand Forks County Wildlife Federation. Registration from 12:30 to 1 p.m. Info: Jill Nelson, (701) 746-2790 or ggfgc.com.
- Sept. 6: Third annual Vintage Snowmobile Show and Swap, Newfolden, Minn.. Registration begins at 9 a.m. at tennis courts by the high school. No cost to swappers or exhibitors. Awards presented at 2:30 p.m. Info: Shane, (218) 689-0769.
- Sept. 13: Public duck banding night, 6 p.m., Agassiz National Wildlife Refuge northeast of Thief River Falls. Meet at refuge headquarters east of Holt, Minn. “Hands-on” participants should dress for the weather and plan to get a bit dirty.
- Sept. 21: 32nd annual Black Powder Turkey Shoot, 2 p.m., Olga, N.D. Muzzle-loading rifles with open sights only. Sponsored by Olga Church Preservation Society. Info: Art, (701) 549-3648.
- Oct. 9-11: 19th annual Options deer hunt for hunters with disabilities, Rydell National Wildlife Refuge, Minn. Open to as many hunters. Info/applications: Randy Sorenson, (800) 726-3692.
- Aug. 27: Bow hunter warm-up, 7 p.m., Red River Archers indoor range, 2001 N. 42nd St., Grand Forks; 30 3-D Rhinehart targets, no charge. Info: John Brewinski, (701) 746-8602.
- Aug. 31: Hunter rifle match, Forks Rifle Club west of Grand Forks; 300- and 600-yard events; prizes for winner of 300-yard match. Registration begins at 1:30 p.m., with shooting at 2. Info: Gordy, (218) 779-1784.
- Sept. 14: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 8:30 a.m., Aaltos Cafe, Canad Inns, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Sept. 14: Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 10 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela’s. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Aug. 30: Fifth annual South Shore Classic fishing tournament, Arnesens Rocky Point Resort on Lake of the Woods. Info: arnesens.com.
To see a full outdoors calendar with more extensive listings, go to gfherald.com and click the Outdoors link.