OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Big Bog Solar Light Boardwalk Hike
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148; or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• Oct. 9: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
• Nov. 13: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
• Today: Explore the Mississippi River, 10 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: (218) 308-2300 or send email to John.Fylpaa@state.mn.us.
• Saturday: Big Bog Solar Light Boardwalk Hike, 7:30 to 9 p.m., Big Bog State Park near Waskish, Minn. Explore the fully accessible boardwalk into the heart of the Red Lake Bog under the night sky. Info: (218) 647-8592.
• Oct. 11-13: 18th Annual Accessible Deer Hunt for people with disabilities, Rydell National Wildlife Refuge near Erskine, Minn.; several openings remain. Info/applications: Randy Sorenson, Options Interstate Center for Independent Living, (800) 726-3692.
• Nov. 5: Min-Dak Border Chapter of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association fall membership meeting, 6 p.m., East Grand Forks Eagles club. Fall "10 Gun Raffle" also will be given away that night. Info: Loren Abel, (701) 741-1147 or Sportsmen's Taxidermy, (218) 773-7972.
• Oct. 29: Red River Archers 3D and 300 league captains meeting, 7 p.m., Red River Archers indoor range, Grand Forks. Any new archers interested in shooting should contact Paul Hahn, (701) 741-8279 (3D animal league) or John Brewinski, (701) 746-8602 (300-target league).
• Oct. 4-5: 2013 North Star Fall Walleye Classic, Minnesota side of Lake of the Woods. Entry fee is $450 per team; mandatory rules meeting at 7 p.m. Oct. 3 at Wigwam Resort, which is tournament headquarters. Info: Kevin Olmstead, (218) 634-9457; Wigwam Resort, (218) 634-2168; or www.wigwamresortlow.com.
N.D. fall seasons/important dates
• Saturday: Regular waterfowl seasons opens.
• Oct. 5-6: Becoming an Outdoors Woman waterfowl hunt, Bismarck, $20. Participants must provide their own lodging. Info: Nancy Boldt, N.D. Game and Fish Department, (701) 328-6300.
• Oct. 5: Youth pheasant season opens.
• Oct. 12: Regular pheasant, fall turkey seasons open.
• Oct. 26: Mink, muskrat, weasel trapping seasons open.
• Nov. 8: Deer gun season opens.
• Nov. 29: Deer muzzleloader season opens.
• Dec. 1: Darkhouse spearfishing opens.
Minnesota fall seasons/important dates
• Saturday: Minnesota prairie chicken season opens.
• Saturday: Fall turkey season opens.
• Oct. 12: Pheasant opener.
• Oct. 17-20: Special youth deer season.
• Nov. 9: Firearms deer opener.
• Nov. 9: Early wolf season opener.
• Nov. 30: Muzzleloader deer opener.
• Nov. 30: Late season wolf hunting, trapping openers.