- Feb. 8: 11th annual Ice Buster Daze fishing derby and radar run, Red Lake River, Crookston. Fishing registration begins at noon, Central Park, with derby from 1 to 4 p.m. Radar run from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the river. Info: Ceasons Bait and Tackle, (218) 281-6665; or Brian, (218) 281-7762.
- Feb. 12: North Dakota Class II Concealed Weapon Permit instruction and testing, 6 p.m., Masonic Center Lower Level, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks; 7:30 p.m., Utah instruction and certification. Info: dakotacwp.com.
- Feb. 23: Two-for-one Minnesota, Utah, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 8:30 a.m. Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Laura, (218) 252-1631; permittocarry.org.
- Feb. 23: North Dakota Class II Permit to Carry testing, 3 p.m.., Hampton Inn, 2895 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; permittocarry.org.
- Today: Final day of Red River Valley Boat and Marine Products Show, Fargodome. Info: (763) 755-8111 or fargoboatshow.com.
- Thursday: Snowshoeing for Fun, 1:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- Saturday: Buena Vista Logging Days, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Buena Vista Ski Area north of Bemidji. Log demos, blacksmith demos, cross-cut sawing, sleigh rides, roping contest, treasure hunt and more. Admission: $6, age 13 and older; $4, age 6 to 12; and free admission, 5 and younger. Info: (218) 243-2231 or bvskiarea.com.
- Saturday: Rainy River snowshoe hike, 1 p.m., Franz Jevne State Park near Birchdale, Minn. Explore the snowy wonderland along the Rainy River on snowshoes. Adult- or youth-size snowshoes will be available, or bring your own. Hot beverages will be served. Info: (218) 783-6252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday: Interpretive program, “Winter Under Ice,” 2 to 3:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- Feb. 8: Vintage snowmobile show, outside Blue Moose, East Grand Forks. Registration from 9 a.m. to noon, and sleds will be on display until 3 p.m. Snowmobiles must be 1980 or older, and trophies will be awarded for mayor’s choice and first, second and third places. Info: Al Seydel, (701) 740-7552 or Merlyn Werner, (218) 779-6161.
- Feb. 11: Program, “How to Spot and Photograph Owls,” 6 p.m., Crookston Library. Birding expert Heidi Hughes of the Agassiz Audubon Society will share information on local owls, including how to identify them, tips on how to make your yard “owl friendly” and tips on how to take good owl photos with a point-and-shoot camera. Info: Heidi Hughes, (218) 745-5663 or Dennis Jacobs, (218) 281-4522.
- Feb. 14: “Sweetheart Ski,” 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Turtle River State Park. Healthy “finger foods” and craft activities will be offered in the chalet/warming house for kids while their parents ski, and the Ski and Bike Shop of Grand Forks will have skis, boots and poles available onsite to borrow. Pre-registration required; $2 per person, by Feb. 11. Info: Turtle River State Park, (701) 594-4445.
- Feb. 14: Candlelight Ski, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Old Mill State Park, Minn. Great Minnesota Ski Pass required. Info: mndnr.gov/skiing.
- Feb. 15: Snowshoe Adventure, 1 to 3 p.m., Big Bog State Park near Waskish, Minn. Meet at the north unit parking lot, where a limited number of snowshoes will be available for free checkout. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- Feb. 15: Candlelight ski, 5 to 8 p.m., Zippel Bay State Park near Williams, Minn. Meet at the residence, located just behind the contact station; local ski group sponsoring a meal beginning about 5 p.m. Minnesota Ski Pass required for skiers 16 and older but not snowshoers or hikers. Info: (218) 783-6252 or email@example.com.
- Feb. 15: Candlelight ski, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Hayes Lake State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 425-7504.
- Feb. 18: Program, “How to Spot and Photograph Owls,” 6 p.m., East Grand Forks Campbell Library. Birding expert Heidi Hughes of the Agassiz Audubon Society will share information on local owls and how to identify them and provide tips on making your yard “owl friendly” and how to take good owl photos with a point-and-shoot camera. Info: Heidi Hughes, (218) 745-5663 or Dennis Jacobs, (218) 281-4522.
- Feb. 22: Candlelight ski tour/snowshoe walk, 6 to 9 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Minnesota Ski Pass required for skiers 16 and older but not snowshoers or hikers. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- Feb. 22: Antique and vintage snowmobile show, 11 a.m. to noon, Big Bog State Park near Waskish, Minn. Info: (218) 647-8592.
- Feb. 22: Minnesota Deer Hunters Association state banquet, Timberlake Lodge, Grand Rapids, Minn. Social hour 4:30 p.m., with dinner and program beginning at 6. Only 350 tickets available. Info: (800) 450-DEER or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 1: Bemidji snowmobile ride, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. State trail sticker required for all snowmobiles operating on state or Grant-in-Aid trails. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- March 7-9: Minnesota Deer Classic, Schwan Center, Blaine, Minn. Certified measurers, demonstrations, seminars, kids’ activities and more. Admission: $10 adults, $7 age 12 to 17, free 11 and younger.
- March 22: Ski/snowshoe hike, “The Bog in Winter,” 9 a.m. to noon, Lake Bemidji State Park. Round-trip distance about two miles and snowshoes will be available to check out. Minnesota Ski Pass required for skiers 16 and older but not snowshoers or hikers. Meet at the park office. Info: (218) 308-2300.
- April 12: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever 140-gun raffle, East Grand Forks American Legion. Walk-around raffles, guns, prints and hunting trips. Info: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
- June 11-15: Potholes and Prairie Birding Festival, Carrington, N.D. Festival highlights include field trips to Arrowwood and Chase Lake national wildlife refuges. Info: birdingdrives.com.