THE LIST: Shrine Circus ... Greek Night ... 'Last of the Boys'
- Friday through Sunday at Ralph: The KEM Shrine Circus is coming to Grand Forks for three days of clowns, acrobats and elephants. With amazing stunts and feats, the whole family will be entertained. Show times are 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday. Cost: $12 advance, $14 day of the show, children 12 and younger free. Info: (701) 777-4167.
- Friday at Lovely Dozen: The Steps in Time Historical Dance Society is holding Greek Night at 6:30 p.m. at the Lovely Dozen Dance Studio, 1604 S. Washington St., Grand Forks. All ages are invited to learn Greek folk dances and enjoy delicacies of the Greek Isles. Cost: $10, $8 with studio card. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
‘Last of the Boys’
- Friday, Saturday at Fire Hall Theatre: The Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre presents “Last of the Boys,” a show commemorating the 50th anniversary of the official entrance of the U.S. into Vietnam at 7:30 p.m. The war may have ended, but the ghosts live on. There will also be a preview of Warrior Words before the show, featuring North Dakota veterans reading pieces about their experiences in various wars and conflicts. Additional 7:30 p.m. showings: May 1-3. 2 p.m. showings: Sunday. Cost: $15 for adults; $12 for seniors, students and military with I.D. Info: (701) 777-4090.
- Saturday at Museum of Art: Children and adults are invited to come together and work on projects that help us understand the museum exhibit or learn about techniques and materials from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Cost: Donations. Info: (701) 77-4195.
‘Mama Said Sew’ Quilt Show
- Saturday at Larimore: The Larimore Whipstitchers Guild will host its biennial quilt show from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at St. Stephen’s Catholic Church, 311 W. Main, Larimore, N.D. Cost: Free will donation. Info: (701) 326-4523.
- Saturday, Monday at NVYO: The Northern Valley Youth Orchestras will hold auditions for its 2014-2015 season from 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday and 5 to 8:30 p.m. Monday by appointment at the NVYO office, 2514 S. Washington St. Suite B, Grand Forks. Strings, winds, brass and percussion students are invited to join one of three NVYO ensembles. The orchestra is also accepting registration for its Dal Segno summer camp. Cost: Free. Info: www.novyo.org.
‘The Creation’ Concert
- Saturday at Chester Fritz: The Grand Forks Master Chorale and UND Music Department present Franz Joseph Haydn’s oratorio “The Creation” at 8 p.m. The piece tells the biblical story of creation as written in the book of Genesis and Milton’s “Paradise Lost” and is one of the most performed masterworks of all time. Cost: $27 adults, $22 seniors, $17 students. Info: (701) 777-2170.
- Saturday at Brick and Barley: The Dueling Duo from South Dakota will perform from 10:30 p.m. to 1:45 a.m. at Brick and Barley. The performance will feature three people, two pianos and one fiddle. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 757-4012.
Concerts in the Galleries
- Sunday at Museum of Art: The Cecilia String Quartet will perform the last Sunday Concerts in the Galleries performance at 2 p.m. at the North Dakota Museum of Art. The quartet formed at the University of Toronto and has since gone on to win the Banff International String Quartet Competition. Cost: $18 for members, $20 for non-members, $10 for students and military, children 12 and under free. Info: www.ndmoa.com; (701) 777-4195.
- Sunday at Empire: The Greater Grand Forks City Band will present its spring concert at 2 p.m. at the Empire Arts Center. The concert will feature compositions by John Philip Sousa, John Barnes Chance, Frank Erickson, Gustav Holst and Jack Stamp. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 741-4427.
Art Exhibition Reception
- Through Sunday at Middle River: The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council is hosting an art exhibition at the Middle River American Legion, 245 Second St. N., Middle River, Minn. The exhibit will feature over 120 pieces of visual art, photography, mixed media and more by adult and high school artists from northwest Minnesota. An artists’ reception will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the American Legion. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 745-9111.
UMC Band and Choir
- Sunday at Kiehle Auditorium: The UMC Choir and the UMC Community Band will join together for a spring concert at 3 p.m. Directed by TJ Chapman, a number of special soloists will perform with the band. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 281-8266.
’75 Years of Harmony’
- Sunday at Red River: The Grand Harmony Men’s a cappella chorus is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Barbershop Harmony Society at 4 p.m. at the Red River High School Theater. Special guests include Twin Forks Chorus, Grand Cities Children’s Choir and the Minnkota 4, Whistle Stop and Fallcreek quartets. Cost: $15 adults, $10 seniors and military with I.D., $5 students, children four and younger free. Info: (701) 740-6695.
UND University Band and Vivo
- Tuesday at Memorial Union: The UND University Band and Vivo Women’s Chamber Ensemble will present “On Broadway! – A “Pops” Concert” at 8 p.m. in the UND Memorial Union Ballroom. The concert will feature selections from over twenty different musicals, including “Oklahoma,” “The Sound of Music,” “Hairspray,” “The Lion King” and more. Free “pop and popcorn” will be provided. Cost: $6 adults, $3 students and seniors, $12 family. Info: (701) 777-2815.
- Thursday at ‘l Bistro: Sneaky Wild Oats will perform Thursday at ‘l Bistro as part of an ongoing Jazz series on Thursdays from 7 to 10 p.m. Additional shows: Downtown Jazz May 8, Matt Strand Group May 15, Sneaky Wild Oats May 22. Info: (701) 792-1960. Peat Moss May 29
- May 2 at Masonic Temple: UND will host the second annual Opera Gala at 8 p.m. in the historic Masonic Temple Auditorium, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks. Audiences will enjoy an effervescent evening of operetta and dynamic orchestral works. The cast consists of auditioned UND voice students joined by the UND Symphony Orchestra performing excerpts from “The Mikato,” “Le Mariage aux Lanternes,” “Die Fledermaus” and more. Cost: $15 adults, $5 students and seniors. Info: (701) 777-2835.
Muddy Waters Show and Sale
- May 2-4 at Muddy Waters: Muddy Waters Clay Center is hosting its springtime show and sale. The event will include original, hand-crafted pottery for sale, studio tours, live demonstrations and “Meet the Artists.” The show will be open from 2 to 9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 12 to 4 p.m. Sunday, with a special Raku firing demonstration at 6 p.m. Friday. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 775-1168.
‘Art of Man’ Exhibit
- Through May 24 at Campbell Library: The East Grand Forks Campbell Library has opened its spring exhibit, “Art of Man,” featuring local artists in various media. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 773-9121.