THE LIST: 'Peter Pan' ... Art and Wine Walk ... 'Steel Magnolias'
- Today through Tuesday at Red River High School: The Summer Performing Arts Program will perform “Peter Pan” at 7 p.m. July 18-19 and July 21-22. Join Peter Pan, Wendy, Michael, and John in the high-flying timeless Broadway musical that will whisk you away to a place where dreams are born and no one ever grows up! Additional 2 p.m. showing: July 20. Cost: $18 adult, $12 senior, $6 student. Info: (701) 746-2411.
Art and Wine Walk
- Saturday at Downtown: Join the Downtown Development Association, the North Valley Arts Council, local businesses and regional artists for an afternoon of wine tasting and art from 1 to 5 p.m. in downtown Grand Forks and East Grand Forks. The walk begins at the Guesthouse Town House in Grand Forks and Blue Moose Bar and Grill in East Grand Forks and ends with a champagne reception at the Empire Arts Center. Additional dates: August 16, September 20, October 18. Cost: $15, $50 season pass. Info: (701) 772-3710.
- Monday through Thursday at Northland Theater: The Thief River Falls Area Community Theater is performing “Steel Magnolias” at 7 p.m. at Northland Community and Technical College. This comedy-drama play, famous for the film adaptation starring Julia Roberts, tells the story of a bond among a group of Southern women in Louisiana. Cost: $10, can be purchased in advance at the east reception of the Digi-Key Corporation, 701 Brooks Ave. S., Thief River Falls. Info: (218) 681-3810.
Piano Talk Concerts
- Tuesday in Grafton, N.D.: Brent Hermans is playing piano with a few cameo vocals as part of a Piano Talk Concert at 7:30 p.m. on select Tuesdays throughout the summer. The next one will be Tuesday at St. John’s Dining Hall, 1515 Western Ave., Grafton, N.D. with the theme “Stars who have played in North Dakota” Additional dates: Aug. 5 and 19. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 520-2680.
The Backstage Project: Penumbra
- Thursday at Empire: The Backstage Project returns again from 8 to 9:30 p.m. July 24 with Penumbra, whose unique style blends acoustic guitars, vocals and Latin percussion to create an eclectic mix that appeals to a variety of audiences. Cost: $5. Info: (701) 746-5500.
Mini Art Exhibit
- Through July 25 at Hallock Public Library: The Northwest Regional Arts Council is holding a mini art exhibit that will travel to several regional libraries throughout the summer and fall. The exhibit includes original paintings, photography, drawings, pottery and more and is now at the Hallock (Minn.) Public Library, 101 First St. E., through July 25. Additional showings: Thief River Falls Public Library July 25-Sept. 5, Fosston (Minn.) Public Library Sept. 5-Oct. 3. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 745-9111.
‘Decades of Paint’ Exhibit
- Through July 27 at Museum of Art: The North Dakota Museum of Art is holding an exhibition titled “Decades of Paint” by Mary Bonkemeyer, a 93-year-old painter from Santa Fe, N.M. Bonkemeyer thinks of her paintings as “traces or marks that weave together, quiver, alternate, and slowly the eye registers and reads an unrepeatable pattern.” This is her first exhibit. The museum is also holding exhibits featuring sculpture by Craig Langager and “Song of Eurydice” by Douglas Kinsey. Cost: $5 suggested donation. Info: (701) 777-4195.
Northwest Minnesota Arts Council Exhibit
- Through July 31 at NWMAC Gallery: The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council has announced a new exhibit featuring pen and ink drawings by Trey Everett of Crookston and woodcarvings by Tom Brosseau of Thief River Falls. There will be an opening reception at the gallery located in the Riverwalk Mall from 1 to 5 p.m. July 19 as part of the Art and Wine Walk. Cost: Free. Info: 218-745-9111.