THE LIST: ‘Last of the Boys’ ... Opera Gala ... Muddy Waters Show and Sale
‘Last of the Boys’
- Friday, Saturday at Fire Hall Theatre: The Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre presents “Last of the Boys,” a show commemorating the 50th anniversary of the official entrance of the U.S. into Vietnam at 7:30 p.m. The war may have ended, but the ghosts live on. There will also be a preview of Warrior Words before the show, featuring North Dakota veterans reading pieces about their experiences in various wars and conflicts. Cost: $15 for adults; $12 for seniors, students and military with I.D. Info: (701) 777-4090.
- Friday at Masonic Temple: UND will host the second annual Opera Gala at 8 p.m. in the historic Masonic Temple Auditorium, 423 Bruce Ave., Grand Forks. Audiences will enjoy an effervescent evening of operetta and dynamic orchestral works. The cast consists of auditioned UND voice students joined by the UND Symphony Orchestra performing excerpts from “The Mikato,” “Le Mariage aux Lanternes,” “Die Fledermaus” and more. Cost: $15 adults, $5 students and seniors. Info: (701) 777-2835.
Muddy Waters Show and Sale
- Friday through Sunday at Muddy Waters: Muddy Waters Clay Center is hosting its springtime show and sale. The event will include original, hand-crafted pottery for sale, studio tours, live demonstrations and “Meet the Artists.” The show will be open from 2 to 9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 12 to 4 p.m. Sunday, with a special Raku firing demonstration at 6 p.m. Friday. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 775-1168.
DJ Profit McFly
- Friday, Saturday at Ho Sports Bar: The Ho Sports Bar is hosting DJ Profit McFly starting at 9:30 p.m. The DJ will be playing favorite songs and taking requests. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 772-7000.
Cello and Piano Recital
- Saturday at Museum of Art: The UND Department of Music is hosting Indiana University cello professor Emilio Colon at 6 p.m. Together with UND piano professor Nariaki Sugiura, he will take part in this special recital featuring works by Claude Debussy, Richard Strauss, Manuel de Falla and more. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 777-2828.
Spring Swing Fling
- Saturday at Bede Ballroom: The UMC Jazz Band is holding a Spring Swing Fling from 8 to 10 p.m. at the UMC Bede Ballroom. The evening of listening and dancing will feature music from the swing era, along with pieces from the Duke Ellington and Count Basie libraries. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 281-8384.
Fiesta in the Spirit of Cinco de Mayo
- Monday at Kiehle Auditorium: UMC is hosting its annual Fiesta in the Spirit of Cinco de Mayo at 7 p.m. in the UMC Kiehle Auditorium. The event will feature local artists Tony Diaz and Bryan Sanchez and will honor Father Mario Prada, former director of the UMC International and Multicultural Programs. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 281-8329.
Global Visions Film Series
- Tuesday at Memorial Union: The Global Visions Film Series returns to UND this spring on select Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in the UND Memorial Union Lecture Bowl. The final screening will be “Starbuck,” a Canadian comedy about a man whose donations to a sperm bank result in his fathering 533 children. It is the basis for the American film “Delivery Man.” Cost: $1 suggested donation. Info: (701) 777-3008.
Red River Piano Trio
- Wednesday at Geiger Home: The UND Red River Trio will perform at 7 p.m. at the home of Jonathan and Donna Geiger, 4718 River Oaks Circle, Grand Forks. The trio consists of vocalist Anna Andersson, cellist Kara Harttan and pianist Keith Teppen. Cost: Free. RSVP: (701) 787-9294.
Century Club Dinner and Auction
- Thursday at Gorecki: The Greater Grand Forks Symphony Guild is holding a Century Club dinner and auction at 5:30 p.m. at the Gorecki Alumni Center. Native Brazilian and local resident Mara Rydell will perform a special musical treat featuring Afro-Brazilian Samba and Bossa Nova selections. Cost: $100. RSVP: (701) 213-3908. Auction info: (701) 772-2828.
- Thursday at ‘l Bistro: Sneaky Wild Oats will perform Thursday at ‘l Bistro as part of an ongoing Jazz series on Thursdays from 7 to 10 p.m. Additional shows: Matt Strand Group May 15, Sneaky Wild Oats May 22, Peat Moss May 29. Info: (701) 792-1960.
- May 9 at Shooting Star: Renowned Engelbert Humperdinck will perform at 8 p.m. at the Shooting Star Casino in Mahnomen, Minn. Over his 40-year career, Humperdinck has sold more than 150 million records and is known for hits such as “After the Lovin’,” “Quando, Quando, Quando” and “Release Me.” Cost: $20. Info: (800) 313-7469, www.starcasino.com.
‘Art of Man’ Exhibit
- Through May 24 at Campbell Library: The East Grand Forks Campbell Library has opened its spring exhibit, “Art of Man,” featuring local artists in various media. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 773-9121.
‘Selected Works by Honoré Daumier’ Exhibit
- Through May 24 at Empire: The UND Art Collections Gallery is holding a French exhibition at the Empire Arts Center featuring works by Honoré Daumier, an important French artist who specialized in lithography. His satirical art often addressed political and social issues of the day. The pieces are displayed with lithographs by regional artists Samuel Schultz and Joel Jonientz, to whom the exhibition is dedicated. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 777-5529.