THE LIST: Friday Night Dinner ... Dancing Through the Decades ... CD Release Show
Friday Night Dinner
Friday Night Dinner
- Today at Museum of Art: Enjoy an evening with friends and family while eating a special meal in the galleries prepared by Chef Justin Welsh at 5:30 p.m. Vegetarian options are available on request, and guests can feel free to bring their own bottle of wine. Cost: $40. RSVP: (701) 777-5377.
Dancing Through the Decades
- Saturday at Civic Center: Join the Northern Lights Figure Skating Club and the East Grand Forks Parks and Recreation Department for “Dancing through the Decades” at 7 p.m. at the East Grand Forks Civic Center, 300 15th St. N.E. Additional showings: 2 p.m. Info: www.northernlightsfsc.com.
CD Release Show
- Saturday at Ember: Join the Ember for Before the Gates CD release show at 7 p.m. with special guests Busted Knuckles, One Ten Ride and Warped Authority. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 203-2877.
Concerts in the Galleries
- Sunday at Museum of Art: Trio Solisti will perform at 2 p.m. at the North Dakota Museum of Art. Hailed as “the most exciting piano trio in America” by The New Yorker magazine, they will perform a broad spectrum of styles. Cost: $18 for members, $20 for nonmembers, $10 for students and military, children 12 and under free. Info: (701) 777-4195.
Winter Art Auction
- Sunday at Pekin City Auditorium: The Nelson County Arts Council is holding an art auction to help support its Youth Fine Arts Camp. Wine and hors d’oeuvres will be served at 3 p.m., with the live auction starting at 4 p.m. at the Pekin City Auditorium, 125 Main St., Pekin, N.D. Most of the artwork can be viewed online at www.nelsoncountyarts.com. Cost: $10. Info: (701) 296-4410.
Student Art Showcase
- Through Sunday at NWMAC: The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council is holding a Student Art Showcase featuring works of various mediums and subject matter by students in grades nine through 12 in the Riverwalk Theater Mall, East Grand Forks. Local students Erin Nelson of East Grand Forks Senior High and Jessica Genett of Sacred Heart High School will be included in the display. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 745-9111.
- Opens Monday at The Empire: The Empire Theater Company presents "Spitfire Grill," a musical based on the 1996 film about a women who was just released from prison and moves to a small town and gets a job at The Spitfire Grill. The show opens at 7:30 p.m. Monday and runs through March 29. Cost: $15 for general public; $12 for students and members. Info: www.empireartscenter.com; (701) 746-5500.
Frank Warren’s PostSecret
- Tuesday at Chester Fritz: Frank Warren, the creator of PostSecret will speak at UND at 7 p.m. in the Chester Fritz Auditorium. PostSecret is a website that collects anonymous confessional postcards from around the world and posts them on their blog. The confessions range from serious to more light-hearted and have been collected into several books, which Warren will be available to sign after the presentation. Cost: Free. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday at ’l Bistro: Sneaky Wild Oats will be performing Thursday at ‘l Bistro as part of an ongoing Jazz series on Thursdays from 7 to 10 p.m. Additional shows: Jazz on Tap April 3, Downtown Jazz April 10, Matt Strand Group April 17. Info: (701) 792-1960.
Home Design and Garden Show
- March 28-30 at Alerus: The Forx Builders Association is hosting the 2014 Home Design and Garden Show at the Alerus Center. The event includes local chef demonstrations, gardening seminars, kids activities and more. Hours are 4 to 9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Cost: $5 adults, $4 seniors, children 12 and under free. Info: (701) 746-4536.
UND Opera Gala
- March 28-29 at Hughes: UND will be hosting a full opera production at 7 p.m. at the Hughes Fine Arts Center. The double-bill gala features both “Dr. Miracle” by Georges Bizet and “Tril By Jury” by Gilbert and Sullivan. Cost: $6 adults, $3 students/seniors, military free, $12 family pass for two children and two adults. Info: (701) 320-1593.
Ember Birthday Party
- March 28 at Ember: Join the Ember at 9 p.m. for a birthday party featuring acoustic singer and songwriter Cody Qualley. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 203-2877.
‘Blending – New Beginnings’ Art Exhibit
- Through March 29 at Muddy Waters: Muddy Waters Clay Center is hosting an exhibit by Don Miller, one of the founding members of the center, featuring clay work expressing the North Dakota landscape. Cost: Free. Info: (701) 772-1998.
‘Northern Exposures’ Photography Exhibit
- Through April 5 at EGF Campbell Library: The East Grand Forks Campbell Library will host “Northern Exposures,” a juried photography exhibit featuring artists throughout the region, through April 5. Awards will be presented at the exhibit opening from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. March 3. Cost: Free. Info: (218) 773-9121.
‘This is Personal’
- Through April 6 at Blue Door Gallery: Only five percent of the art currently on display in U.S. museums is made by women. The Blue Door Gallery, 2 N. Third St., Grand Forks, is helping to correct that with “This is Personal: A Women’s Exhibition.” Cost: Free. Info: (701) 772-3710.
Adult Art Classes
- April at Museum of Art: The North Dakota Museum of Art has two upcoming art classes that are open to all levels, with no previous experience necessary. The first is “Painting Through the Ages II” with instructor Pirjo Berg. The class, which costs $200, will meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 7, 10, 1, 17, 21, 24, 28 and May 1. Students will practice contemporary and classic techniques and explore how they changed painting and the history of art. The other class is titled “Human Figure Drawing” with instructor Guillermo Guardia. It will meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 8, 15, 22 and 29 for a fee of $100. Each session will emphasize human proportions, body structure and drawing the human body at rest and in motion. Cost: $200, $100. Info: (701) 777-4195.