IDEA winners announced at sixth annual banquet
BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Inventors and innovators from the region were featured Thursday at the sixth annual IDEA Competition Awards Banquet at the Sanford Center.
Winners who will receive $10,000 to further develop their ideas were:
- Coreen and Brian Berdahl of Red Lake Falls for the Reel Deal, a device that transfers fishing line from spools to reels.
- Cynthia Krankkala of Thief River Falls for Addy Olly, an infant playpen mattress lining.
- Robert Cloose, David Edevold and Phillip Creighton of CR Data Solutions of Bagley for fiber optic cable testing software.
Runners-up who will each receive $1,000 were:
- John Szurpicki of Bemidji for the Bedraptor, a landscape tilling blade.
- Jenny and Tim Slukynsky of Warroad for an ice resurfacing system,
- Marina Lovell of Laporte for Scratch My Aspen, a eco-friendly scratching post for cats.
- Don Miller of Roseau for the Skyrocker Telescope, a portable astronomy telescope.
The family of Don Ricke, TEAM Industries founder, accepted a posthumous IDEA Hall of Fame award on his behalf.
The event was organized by the Northwest Minnesota Foundation, a regional development group. The seven finalists were judged by a 12-person committee of representatives from IDEA sponsor groups to have the best product ideas and commercialization plans out of an initial pool of about 20 entrants.