Fire destroys construction van in Grand Forks
A construction cargo truck was destroyed by fire Saturday afternoon in Grand Forks.
The vehicle was fully engulfed by flames when firefighters from the Grand Forks Fire Department arrived on the scene at 1006 Cottonwood St. at about 2:25 p.m., according to Battalion Chief Rob Corbett.
The fire was sparked when the engine backfired while starting fluid was being used to start the vehicle, according to the fire department report. The fire quickly spread to the cab and then to the cargo area, which contained various construction equipment and tools.
The truck was owned by Craftmasters Construction Co., Grand Forks. Damage was estimated at about $10,000, including the truck and equipment.
Meanwhile, the East Grand Forks Fire Department answered a call Saturday evening to the Touch of Magic, 415 2nd St. NW, East Grand Forks.
When firefighters arrived at about 7 p.m., they found an oven on fire in the kitchen. The fire was quickly extinguished. It apparently had started in or near the rear of the oven.
Minor damage was reported. The business was allowed to continue for the evening, according to the report.