Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Fire department rules Wednesday's apartment fire was accidental

News Grand Forks,North Dakota 58203 http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/all/themes/grandforksherald_theme/images/social_default_image.png
Grand Forks Herald
Fire department rules Wednesday's apartment fire was accidental
Grand Forks North Dakota 375 2nd Ave. N. 58203

The Grand Forks Fire Department has concluded its investigation on the fire that occurred Wednesday morning at 2300 Library Lane.

According to the department, the fire started in a vacant apartment under renovation on the third floor of the structure and was accidental in nature. The fire was caused when maintenance workers were trying to repair a broken water pipe. While using a torch, workers were attempting to place a new fitting on the pipe when combustibles within the wall-space caught fire and quickly worked into additional void spaces, causing the fire to spread quickly.

No tenants were hurt in the fire, but a building maintenance worker sustained minor injuries trying to extinguish the fire. Tenants in four apartment units were displaced.

news@grandforksherald.com
Advertisement