EDUCATION NOTES: UND to hold Bakken lecture
Sebastian Braun, associate professor of Indian Studies at UND, will speak about “Bakkenization: 300 Years of Globalizing Frontiers in North Dakota” at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Empire Arts Center in downtown Grand Forks.
It’s part of the university’s International Studies speaker series
The presentation is designed to put the Bakken oil boom and its cultural, political, ecological and social impacts in the global historical contexts of resource-extraction frontiers.
Like Balkanization, Bakkenization describes a frontier process in which national, international and transnational interests bring about a fast globalization to a predominantly rural area and withdraw after the resources have been exhausted. The focus of Braun’s research is to look at the aftermath of this process.
Final presentations in the series include student projects on April 16 and a speech by Ann Reed titled “Like Oil and Gender: Work and Play in North Dakota’s Oil Patch.”
- UND is in the Top 10 when it comes to public universities with the best return on investment for the Midwestern U.S. region, according to BestValueSchools.com. The website looks at lifetime earnings students will experience after earning their college degrees, an increasingly popular way for schools to show their worth.
- The UND Department of Space Studies lecture series will host its next lecture at 4 p.m. March 10 in Ryan Hall Room 111. Vadim Rygalov, a Space Studies faculty member, will speak about “Critical Human Factors in a Manned Martian Mission (Inspiration Mars flyby mission as a case study).” A live webcast will be available at bit.ly/1jIRgYn.
- NDSU’s Distance and Continuing Education is offering “Assertiveness for Women: Be Confident” from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday in Fargo. Registration and more information are available at ndsu.me/execed.
- The University of Minnesota-Crookston is hosting a social media workshop for businesses from 9 to 11 a.m. March 12 in the Bede Ballroom. The training will focus on how to design a website with goals in mind, search engine optimization and what social media sites to use for specific businesses. Register: $10, www.impact2020.org.
- The UND Prom Dress Sale, sponsored by the UND Nonprofit Leadership Students Association, will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 15 in the social hall at Sacred Heart School, 122 Third St. N.W., East Grand Forks. All dresses will be priced at $25 or less, and proceeds will benefit St. Joseph’s Social Care and Thrift Store.
- The East Grand Forks School District is sponsoring Early Childhood Screening for children ages three to five March 25-27. The screening is required for all children prior to entering kindergarten to guarantee that all young children in Minnesota are well equipped and ready for learning. Call DyAnn Stordahl at (218) 773-1141 to schedule an appointment.
- Grand Forks Public Schools will join schools across the nation in the sixth annual “Spread the Word to End the Word” day of awareness Wednesday. The campaign is centered on raising awareness about the negative effects of using the word “retard(ed).” Students are encouraged to stop using the word and instead use more inclusive language.
- Sacred Heart School has named Carl Adolphson the first president of the school. Adolphsen has worked there for the past year as the seventh to 12th grade principal and on the development team to market the school and recruit new students. Dave Andrys will become the principal for preschool through 12th grade beginning July 1.
- Nearly 800 fourth graders from Grand Forks, Walsh and Pembina counties will take part in “Special Assignment: Pizza” this week. This annual event teaches students about the importance of agriculture through a series of fun, hands-on learning experiences revolving around ingredients used to make one of their favorite foods.
- Grand Forks Public Schools will celebrate National School Breakfast Week this week. The cafeterias will promote school breakfast by taking a “trip through time” with special menus and activities, such as Prehistoric Mondayand Ancient Egypt Tuesday, throughout the week.
To see more regional higher education news, visit the websites of UND,University of Minnesota-Crookston, Northland Community and Technical College, Mayville State University and Lake Region State College. To see more local K-12 education news, visit the websites of Grand Forks Public Schoolsand East Grand Forks Public Schools.