DO-IT-YOURSELF: Turn figurines into homemade book ends
Make your own personalized book ends for yourself or a friend with these easy steps.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
• Two figurines (search secondhand store or Walmart. Note: Consider going extra creative with two nonmatching but complementary items.)
• Four 5-by-5-inch wood squares (Hardware store can cut these to size)
• Spray paint (in your choice of color(s))
• Wood glue (E-6000) or super-glue
• Optional: Spray paint primer, clear gloss spray sealer
1. In a well-ventilated area, spray primer onto all wood and figurines.
2. Next, spray paint blocks and figurines, allowing about 10 to 15 minutes in between coats. Repeat for up to three coats or more. Optional: Once dry, spray two coats of clear gloss spray sealer.
3. Lay blocks on flat surface.
4. Apply wood glue to long edge of another block.
5. Place block with adhesive onto the far edge of bottom block. This should form an "L" shape.
6. Press down, holding wood pieces in place for 30 seconds. Repeat steps for second set of wood.
7. Place dab of adhesive to bottom of figurine and place onto center of wood, so figurine is facing outward.
8. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat with second figurine.
9. Allow 1 to 2 hours to dry. Place book ends on shelf and enjoy.
Lavine is Accent Editor. Call her at (701) 780-1265, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1265 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.