Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Cooking likely cause of GF apartment fire

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts

local Grand Forks, 58203

Grand Forks North Dakota 375 2nd Ave. N. 58203

A resident of top-floor apartment at 504½ Chestnut St. in Grand Forks was rescued after a report Saturday afternoon of smoke coming from a window, a news release from the fire department said.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Firefighters were dispatched to the two-and-a-half story duplex apartment at 3:04 p.m. Saturday after a report of smoke coming from the top floor window. Fire crews forced entry to the second floor loft style apartment and encountered smoke near the floor level. One resident and two dogs were rescued from the apartment.

Unattended cooking appeared to be the cause of the fire, officials said. The fire was contained to the area of the stove and minimal structural damage was caused. The building was ventilated and the main floor residents were allowed to return to their apartment accompanied by the neighbor's dogs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement